Friday, February 3, 2012

Flat Juliette

Yes, it's not even February yet, but I am already planning for next year and this summer. I've always loved the concept of Flat Stanley. Seriously, mad props to whomever initially came up with the idea.

I got to thinking, did a Google search, and found out there is in fact a Flat Juliette. How amazing is that?! There's several of them floating around in different forms for various projects. I thought, why not do something similar for our girls this summer? Lots of us travel or do cool things over the summer, and this would be the perfect way to keep scouting going through the summer, and make an awesome first meeting next year!

First up, supplies.  The Colorado Girl Scouts have the templates on their blog, yay! Body Uniform  It's two pieces, but to make it easier, you can put the two together ahead of time like so to make it simple.  You should also think contact paper, or another way to laminate it.  I'm thinking about printing it on card stock just to save a few bucks.



My plan right now is to have the girls color/decorate them before our last meeting  so that I can take them home and laminate them.  Then I'll send them home after our last meeting with instructions on what to do.  Since we have kindergartners and first graders in our current troop, we will sadly have to split the troop up next year.  Since I'll be holding a parent's meeting in March, I am planning on taking the Flat Juliette's with me to the meeting to give our new girls something to do while us parent's talk, and so they won't be left out during our first meeting.

Even if the girls only go to the pool all summer, or if they travel somewhere exotic, they'll have a fun way of chronicling their summer, Girl Scout style!  Plus, this activity just planned out half a meeting for me, which made my life easy.

9 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I'm definitely going to have to keep this in mind when I finish planning out the rest of our year! We're planning on having one or two 'activity' meetings a month in the summer - nothing formal as far as petals and Journeys go, but this is another great idea to keep scouting going over the summer! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so welcome!!!! Sorry I haven't posted the photo yet of the "put together" one, I've been slackin' this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I had commented on this idea. But I don't see it! I really like this idea. Are the girls each going to get there own Juliette? What are they supposed to do with them?

    Thanks for a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome!!

    Yes, each will have their own (to decorate and carry). The concept is that she will be like a summer companion to help chronicle what they did. Then for the first meeting, they can bring their Flat Juliette back with them, and pictures if they choose, and tell us how they spent their summer. I figured this will also be a great way to get our new girls involved and help them get to know everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that. I'm going to have to look into this some more. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Send me one to visit another troop!! I'll send her back with lots of pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me an email at troop30645[at]gmail and we'll set it up!!

      Delete
  7. Oh my Thanks!!! What a great idea. I was trying to find a way to keep the girls thinking about girl scouts over the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What I great idea. I am just up my daisy and looking at ideas for what we can do. I am also thinking that this could lead into a flat Juliette that goes to other troops during the following year. Thank you for all the info on your site. It is so helpful

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Due to spammers, all comments are now moderated. Spam comments will automatically be deleted. "Real" comments will be published :-)